Five Anne Arundel County beaches are closed for swimming, days after the heavy rainstorms that sent runoff and debris down the Bay from the Conowingo Dam.
The health department is seeing high bacteria results in water samples. On Thursday the Anne Arundel County Department of Health issued advisories for people to avoid direct contact with the water in five locations:
- Atlantic Marina Resort on the Patapsco River in Pasadena
- Bay Ridge Beach at Bay Drive in Annapolis
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation Beach in Annapolis
- Beverly Beach in Edgewater
- Sandy Point South Beach at Sandy Point State Park in Annapolis
Sandy Point’s beaches were already closed for swimming due to large amounts of debris that washed up.
The health department says people should avoid swimming, water skiing, or any other direct water contact. Signs have been posted at all of the beaches. If you do come in contact with the affected water, wash well with soap and warm water immediately. Clothing should also be washed.
The advisories will remain in effect until new water sample tests show acceptable bacteria levels.
For the most recent water quality report and bacteria counts, click here and scroll down.